Each of us has a source of energy within ourselves. When we act as if this energy is endless, we sometimes push ourselves to exhaustion and become depleted, disconnected, and weak. How do you refuel? Many of us choose to do something pleasurable and perhaps we take some time to reflect and integrate. One of the things I’ve noticed is that when we involve ourselves in activities which are meaningful, even if they may not always be viewed as fun, they are more sustaining.
Refueling our energy within requires us to make time to focus on, nurture, and care for ourselves. Taking time to replenish is not something which can be put off until vacation and done only annually; most of us need a regular habit perhaps each week or more often. So, what can you do to replenish? Look back at what you’ve done in the past that has refueled you, and check in with yourself regarding what you would like more of – if the answer is time, what would you do with it? What are some of your areas of interest which hold meaning for you? Ahh, now see how you can connect with these.
Feeling depleted happens to most of us at various points in our lives. It took me some time and some experimentation to recognize what I need to replenish. Here are some ideas which have helped restore my energy or the energy of my clients:
- Listening to books on CD – enjoying literature and what it teaches me
- Yoga, concentrating on my breathing and being in the moment while strengthening my body and my spirit
- Spending time with people we love without the distraction of our day to day life, this can be even going for a walk or out for coffee.
- Going to a movie that is engaging
- Taking a walk or a bike ride, an opportunity to be with and appreciate nature as well as feel good about being active
- Involving yourself in a spiritual practice whether through organized religion or not as a way to connect with something greater than ourselves
Recognizing the importance of time to replenish is far easier than finding time for it in an active, busy schedule. When you do make take the time, the rewards will be evident, if not initially, then over time the activities will have a restorative effect. There may be things you already do but perhaps not often enough.
What do you enjoy and value that has you feeling fuller by the time you complete it? Try experimenting and let us know what renews your energy.
Contact me to enhance your renewal, sign up for Renew Your Life, a 4 session introductory coaching package.
Dina 203.744-YOU3 (9683)