How and where you put your energy makes a big difference to how you feel and think about your life. You put forth energy for well-being when you engage in activities that connect you to something bigger. The vital sign of P refers to where you Put your energy.
In general people put energy into two areas of life.
- Activities of Daily Life include things like work, maintaining your home, exercising, cooking …
- Activities that connect you to something Bigger. They are activities that connect you to what is meaningful to you. They are often related to your sense of purpose.
The more you can increase the overlap of these two types of activities the greater your well-being. There are many mundane activities you have to do in order to live. Sometimes these may be boring or distasteful. You can elevate them by connecting them with something bigger. There are many benefits to connecting with your sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Opportunities to be with those who share your passion
- Motivation to grow and more stamina along the path when you connect with your purpose
- Stronger Immune system
- Those who experience meaning in their work have higher job satisfaction and engagement scores
Here are several ideas for ways you can increase the overlap so that your daily activities connect you to your bigger purpose
- Reframe – ask yourself “What’s a better way for me to look at this?” or “What would be a more helpful way for me to look at this?”
- Get curious – ask “What’s the bigger purpose for this mundane activity? Where does it fit into the life I’d like to have?”
- If you’re a manager, connect the company’s mission and purpose to what your team is doing. You will help others to see the their contribution; you’ll see the link for you as well.
Even when activities connect you to something bigger, you can still burnout. There is a time when enough is enough and a break is needed. Before that happens think about ways that you can renew your energy.
To develop ways for you to put forth energy for well-being, contact me.
Revitalize Your Life,
Dina, Well-Being Coach
If you like this post and know others who may enjoy it, please share. If you’re not yet on my list, please sign up at HeartofWellBeing.com to receive articles twice a month.